11 Mar 8 reasons essential oils are so important today
The modern way of life can be extremely stressful at times and can easily become overwhelming. Many people long for what they believe to be quieter times gone by, though they are aware this is likely to be a case of the grass being greener on the other side. Essential oils are so relevant today just as they were thousands of years ago.
One thing that we can learn from our ancestors is the power of natural extracts to make us feel better. Generations of humans from all cultures, countries and climates have made use of plants and minerals in healing tinctures and for relaxation. This knowledge has not been lost, despite the appearance of extremely effective medicines in modern times; natural extracts are still widely used in essential oils and aromatherapy.
When I was introduced to essential oils in 2013, I had no notion that essential oils can be used for anything but making a room smell nice. I thought they were to be diffused by burning them in those burners and oftentimes I would stay away from them because they actually gave me headaches just like commercial perfumes did and still do. Essential oils are more widely used in modern products than one might expect – usually extracted through distillation, they are used to fragrance bathing products, incense, perfumes and cosmetics, as well as in some types of household cleaner.
It wasn’t until I discovered a quality essential oil coupled with the right knowledge about them that my understanding of them switched 180 degrees in favour of using them every single day.
Here are 8 reasons why essential oils are so important today and why I have made it a mission of mine to embrace them and teach about them so that our future generations (our beloved children) are empowered to take care of themselves using simple, safe and natural solutions than enhance physical, emotional, spiritual and even financial wellbeing.
Essential oils are changing lives. One drop at a time. One community at a time.
1) Essential oils are meant to be shared.
When you start using essential oils, you revolutionise not just your health but that of everyone around you. It’s nearly impossible not to share them with others because they are so versatile and can fit into every single nook and cranny of your daily rituals. It’s also human nature to share with others the miracles that occur in our lives. When a mother solves her child’s problem, she will share it through the rooftops if it can help another mother, right? In fact, I believe I am doing you a disservice if I keep these to myself and it’s selfish of me to not speak about them. I believe in servant leadership and being in service to others because that is how my Creator would want me to be. Servant leadership is a philosophy and set of practices that enriches the lives of individuals, builds better organisations and ultimately creates a more just and caring world
“The servant–leader is servant first… It begins with the natural feeling that one wants to serve, to serve first.” – Robert K. Greenleaf.
So essential oils are meant to be shared, and sharing is an innate desire in all of us.
2) Essential oils can easily be added to your day-to-day life habits.
Do you drink water? Do you sleep? Do you eat? Did you know that you can add essential oils to every single part of your day and enhance it and increase its vibrational energy and infuse positivity into your life by doing so?
Some ways I use essential oils every single day in my daily routine:
- A drop of Lemon oil in my water in the morning to aid my body’s detoxing functions.
- A drop of Lavender or Vetiver on my big toes at night to help me sleep better.
- A drop or two each of Lime and Black Pepper essential oils to bring my salad to another level of taste (and besides, sometimes I don’t have lemons or limes so the oil comes in handy!)
- Diffusing my Grounding and Calming Blends when I am feeling unbalanced and have that frenetic energy that does me no good. Speaking some positive affirmations or tapping out my emotions using Emotional Freedom Technique or even simply meditating/praying with Frankincense the Oil of Truth diffusing in the room. I use essential oils DAILY for my emotional wellbeing and this is why I created the Emotions Library so I can help others quickly reference which oil they need to release or process a certain negative emotion and anchor a more positive emotion. Did you try it out yet?
Here’s a little Morning / Afternoon / Evening routine you can adapt to your own preferences or try as is:
- Wake up and invigorate yourself with Peppermint and Wild Orange and/or Frankincense (a few drops in your hand and inhale or diffuse).
- Brush your teeth with a homemade toothpaste:
Natural Toothpaste Ingredients
About 1/2 cup coconut oil.
2-3 tablespoons of baking soda.
2 small packets of stevia powder.
15-20 drops of Peppermint or Cinnamon essential oils.
10 drops of Myrrh extract or essential oil (optional).
- Wash your face with a natural soap and apply Geranium and Coriander essential oils on your face.
- First drink to hit your lips should be a detox morning elixir of warm water with 2 drops of Lemon essential oil, a teaspoon of apple cider vinegar and a tablespoon or raw organic honey.
- Go on a 15-minute meditative walk with a Grounding Blend or any tree essential oil of choice. My preferred one is Douglas Fir or White Fir for their amazing emotional benefits to the soul.
- Apply any of the following essential oils to soothe any sore muscles in the body and neck: Wintergreen, Lemongrass, Marjoram, Peppermint.
- Drink some more water with Lemon oil or switch it up and add Grapefruit to curb any sugar cravings at the 3 pm dip usually. I make sure I take a few drops of my Metabolic Blend throughout the day and it really helps curb that desire to munch on less-than-healthy snacks.
- Shower with your favourite essential oil placed in drops at the floor of the bath, I personally love Eucalyptus for its invigorating aroma but if it’s in the evening then a more calming oil such as Lavender or Ylang Ylang would soothe your senses to get ready for bedtime.
- After your shower you can dress your naked body in essential oils by creating a beautiful topical blend of your choice. Simply choose a beautiful dish (I prefer a wooden dish) in which to place approximately 2 tablespoons of Fractionated Coconut Oil or carrier oil base and add 5 drops each of the oils of your choice and add drops of Frankincense o amplify the effect. I love the blend of Wild Orange + Lavender + Frankincense to bring abundance into my life, help me communicate better and always live in my truth.
- Finally, apply calming oils in your diffuser to help you have a restorative sleep, shut down all technology an hour before bedtime and sit in bed with an empowering book. I love having any combinations of Sandalwood, Jasmine, Rose, Lavender or Roman Chamomile in my diffuser to lull me into sleep and I sometimes even add Bergamot as it’s my go-to oil to drive me into the positive emotions of self-acceptance and self-love.
So you see, essential oils have just become a true part and parcel of my daily routine. I have an essential oil that can support me at any given time. It’s truly life-changing.
3) Essential oils are for everyone.
No matter what your age, gender, ethnicity, nationality, political, or social views. EVERYONE BENEFITS!
4) Essential oils are natural.
People use essential oils because they care about taking care of themselves naturally. It’s a no-brainer to me when presented with a choice between using synthetic products and using the alternative natural resource which should be the first choice not the alternative, that I would choose the one that would support my body and brain without affecting it in any other way. There are only side benefits when you use essential oils, no side effects. There’s been a recent natural solutions movement or even downright essential oils revolution that’s been happening for over a decade now. People are craving this, need this and it’s only just the beginning.
5) Essential oils help us care about one another.
I didn’t really understand what it meant to care for someone and want their wellbeing until I became a mother and then introduced to essential oils. I started to be more vigilant about quality, efficacy and safety – it’s only natural to want the very best for your child. People care about quality, efficacy and safety. They care about using things that won’t harm themselves or others. They care about cost. People care about rediscovering nature’s forgotten solutions. People care about science and validity of research. We simply care!
6) Essential oils are complex and yet they are so simple.
They have been around for thousands of years. There are many different types of essential oils and they can be used in so many different ways. I’m here to help simplify everything for you and hold your hand at the beginning of your journey as you move up the learning curve. I continually offer support and ongoing education because I truly want to make this work for you and I want to show you how essential oils can be FUN and EASY using some common sense safety guidelines and the power of knowledge.
7) Essential oils empower.
Imagine your 3- or 4-year-old knowing which essential oil to ask for when they experience a mild discomfort in their tummy or to help them sleep better (Cedarwood, Lavender, Vetiver) or have sweet dreams and ward off nightmares (Juniper Berry). I’ve taught my now almost 6 years old daughter all these things and more in the last 4 years of my essential oil journey. It’s just a whole new ballgame of upbringing, family empowerment and teaching self-governance and stewardship. I was never taught about essential oils in my childhood (they weren’t popular at the time) and as much as I love my parents dearly, we were so imbibed in the 80’s quick-fix solutions for everything. Now as a mother, I feel so empowered and in turn empower others that there’s always a natural alternative and there’s always a way to feel better and think better. Essential oils help me on my journey of living my truth and becoming the best version of me that I can be and teaching others to do the same. There’s something truly empowering in that.
8) Essential oils are powerful agents for change.
They can help you physically, emotionally, financially, and spiritually. They are useful tools in all these facets of life.