05 May What is photo-toxicity and which oils are photo-sensitive?
Though essential oils are natural and generally regarded as safe, you need to be careful when using them. Oils considered to be photo-toxic means that they make your skin light sensitive when applied topically. It is important to note that only the area that you apply the oils on will be light sensitive. When exposed to the sun, these areas can become more sensitive to UV rays and can cause discoloration and even burns. So exercise extreme caution.
It is recommended that you keep the areas where you applied these types of oils out of direct sunlight for at least 72 hrs, so either cover those areas with clothing or don’t step outside!
Oils that are photo-toxic (so avoid sun for 72 hours): Bergamot
Oils that are photo-sensitive (avoid sun for 8-12 hours): Ginger, Grapefruit, Lime, Lemon
*Note: this would also mean to take some extra caution with blends that contain these single oils in them.